What comes next after walking on the moon?

RADM Alan Shepard (R) and me, 1995
Back in 1995, I had the good fortune of spending four hours alone with America’s first man in space: Rear Admiral Alan Shepard. I walked into the office of one of my bosses, Jack Lengyel, who was the athletic director at the Naval Academy at the time, to ask him permission to hold my wedding reception in the “N-Room” at Hubbard Hall. The encounter was a bit awkward, because he assumed I was coming to ask him for his car so that I could pick up Shepard in style at the Key Bridge Marriott. I left his office with the keys to the N-Room and the keys to Jack’s car, so I picked up Shepherd (in style) and drove him to the Naval Academy, where he was going to do a signing for his book Moon Shot.

We had a great conversation, but one thing I wished I had asked him: “So, what comes next after walking on the moon?” How about you? When you achieved something big in your life (like starting your business), did you say, “I’ve arrived!” or did you say, “What’s next?”

Read the rest at the Washington Business Journal.


Comments