Chalk Talk: Keeping your business going after you're gone

There was a news alert last week from the Wall Street Journal with the headline: "Jobs Maintains Grip at Apple" (link may require a subscription). I think if I were a shareholder at Apple, I would have mixed emotions about this:

1) I would happy that, at least in the short-term, Steve Jobs is keeping his creative juices in the company and helping it on to its next big success.
2) I would be concerned that the company still relies too heavily on him. This says a great deal about the sustainability of the Apple enterprise.

Steve should not be coming to me for advice, since he's achieved far more than I have. However, if I were to give him advice, it would be that he really need to cultivate his replacement. I think that COO Tim Cook is probably doing a great job of running the company, but Steve needs to find the next visionary to replace him. Apple will outlive him, ideally, so how good a job he does in developing the next visionary will determine how many lives Apple will positively impact long after he is gone. His employees, their families, their communities; his shareholders, their families, their communities; his customers, and his vendors, are all counting on him to do this right.

Think about that for your own business -- are you preparing it to succeed after you're gone?

Grow Strong!

Coach Grev

Comments