3 big ways fear can have a negative impact in the workplace

“I assumed that’s how it is everywhere.”

That was the answer I got a few years ago from a client’s key employee regarding the leadership she’s experienced in her career.

The 30-year-old woman had only worked for small businesses since graduating from college, and every one of those experiences included fear, lying by her bosses, lack of teamwork, unrealistic expectations, and lack of tools.

She is just one of many small business employees with whom I’ve spoken with over the years who gave me similar insights.

Her boss (my client) was pretty certain that he was a great leader. He had grown a successful business up to about $6 million in sales. His business had flattened out four years earlier, but he thought that was caused by externalities (competitors, luck, economy, etc.) and not anything inside the firm.

Needless to say, he was a little floored when I gave him my findings from my interviews.

To pick up on the employee's first negative experience, fear, here are three major problems that can come from that unwelcome emotion:

Read the rest at The Business Journals

Comments