Don’t take chances with your customer experience



A few weeks ago, our 23 year old dishwasher finally gave up the ghost.

We went to Sears to replace it. We’ve had good success with them when it comes to appliances, so they’ve earned our business.

As Sears normally does, they engaged a contractor to deliver and install the dishwasher. The technician did a good job, except he neglected to reattach the power to our garbage disposal.

It happens. I called the contractor to get it fixed, they agreed, and we set a time to do it. Since I would be out of the area visiting my family, we scheduled it for a week and a half in the future: sometime after 1PM on Monday, August 10th.

When I got back around 1PM on the 10th, I checked the messages and learned that the contractor had called to set an appointment for the previous Friday, and then again for noon on August 10th. So, I called to find out what happened; after all, On July 31st I had a confirmed appointment for 1PM or later on August 10th.

The first woman I spoke with was pleasant, but strangely unwilling to address the error or move around the schedule times to address their error. The soonest someone could be at my house was Friday. So, I asked to speak with her supervisor, who may be able to help.

Her supervisor was unfazed and unapologetic. When I asked her what she would do if she were in my place, she replied “I would have been at my house at the scheduled time.” When I reminded her that that was 1PM on Monday the 10th, she hung up on me.

The rest of the story: my water heater also broke (conveniently, while we were away). Since we knew that buying it from Sears meant dealing with the same contractor, we went to Home Depot.

Did you see what happened? Since Sears’ contractor had a supervisor who simply does not have the temperament to talk with customers, they lost my appliance business. It’s not that I am being a jerk; we just didn’t want to have to deal with that same supervisor again.

What’s the lesson for your business? No aspect of customer experience can be taken for granted. Your sales, profitability, and company value depend on it. Don’t allow untrained or unqualified employees to speak with your customers – and don’t allow your vendors to get away with it, either. It’s not Sears that screwed up; it was their contractor. However, since Sears did not manage all aspects of their customer experience, their loss that week was at least $1000 (equipment and installation).

If your business struggles with customer experience, we can help! Our network includes global experts in the field, and our Strategic Mindset® process will help you design a sustainable, scalable business that leaves little to chance. Call us at (202) 640-1908 or e-mail us to discuss your situation!

Ingar Grev

Comments