Chalk Talk: Delegation

I listened to the interview with Kay Sears on The Leaders Spot recently. Kay is the President of Intelsat General. It was a good interview, but one area where I disagree with Kay is in her description of delegation. She said:
"delegation works if the delegator works, too."
Whereas I think I understand what she's trying to say, I figured that this would be a good opportunity to flesh out when delegation works.

Delegation works when we define the work well, establish appropriate metrics, and follow-up. Again, that might be what she meant, but she seemed to indicate that when we roll up our sleeves is when delegation works. Rolling up our sleeves will certainly give us credibility with our teams (which certainly helps with delegation), but delegation won't work unless we:

- Define the work
- Measure the work we want completed, and
- Follow-up.

Grow Strong!!!

Coach Grev

Comments