How not to handle your customers

I had an interesting "chat" today with my wireless carrier. I am interested in getting a wireless modem for my laptop so that I can get a little more flexibility in my life. I went to my carrier's website, selected a model, and then decided to chat with sales to get a couple of my questions answered before I bought. She answered my technical questions reasonably, but it won't be until I actually get the unit and try it out before I'll find out whether or not my needs are satisfied. So, I asked about the guarantee. It's a reasonable guarantee (30 days, money-back, no early termination charges), with the exception of one point -- a $35 restocking fee.

Now, I understand the purpose of a $35 restocking fee (it keeps people from being cavalier in their purchases, among other things), but in today's recession, with a very competitive wireless marketplace, I don't need to pay a $35 restocking fee. So, I asked my saleswoman, over chat, whether I can get this fee waived. After all, my business and my family are long-time loyal customers (since 2003). Her answer? "IMPOSSIBLE!!!!"

Impossible? This is a mere $35! You mean no one in the entire company can waive this fee for long-time customers who have not exhibited a tendency to return items (never returned a phone)? No one? Impossible? This is just stupid. It's not the sales person's fault, but it is the company's fault. Why on earth are they training their sales staff to treat existing clients this way? There is no incentive for me to keep this particular business with this vendor -- I can go anywhere. Why, oh why, would they act this way? IMPOSSIBLE???

Your existing clients are your best source of business. It costs between 5-9 times more to acquire a new customer than to hold on to an existing customer. I called them! I'm an easy upsell!! They can get an extra $80 a month from me. Nope. It's impossible.

Don't treat your clients this way. New customers, maybe. Annoying clients, maybe, but not long-term, always paying on-time, loyal customers. That's business malpractice.

Grow Strong!

Coach Grev

Comments